Who says that the ‘burbs in Portland can’t have good coffee? Probably a lot of people.
BUT I have finally unearthed Jim & Patty’s Coffee in Beaverton. It’s an ancient biz, running since 1974. Many drinks here seem outrageously sweet (and probably are), but the ones I tried were cozy flavors that made indulgence worth it. The menu is packed, beware–chalk writing scribbled across boards in a cramped style, lists of various kinds of flavored lattes, and a bunch of frozen drinks/milkshakes.
It looks old and a little dingy, but the food and brews are made with love. This is a place where I could hunker down to work for a whole day and eat all my meals. Just stock up on coffee cake, biscuits, and constant injections of caffeine (I believe they have their own coffee blends, too).
- First reaction: wheezing
- The first sip launched a blast of searing spice (cinnamon + habanero)
- Velvety dark chocolate eased the fieriness
- Foam was thick, like a latte pillow
The Friggin’ Fremont
- First reaction: this is a rather prim combination of flavors despite the angsty name (vanilla + honey)
- Healthy dose of sugar, but coffee boldness shone through
Naughty Supermodel Marionberry Coffee Cake
- First reaction: why does this have such a sleazy name? Is this what supermodels cheat on celery with?
- Rather mild marionberry taste, just a light layer–a smear, really
- Huge chunks of crumble, like craters sprinkled with sugar–buttery with a dusting of cinnamon
- Coffee cake was slightly dense, not so moist
- Literally a giant slab that could easily disappear in a few minutes–it grows on you a lot
- I ate this for lunch #noregrets
ECM Biscuit Sandwich (egg, cheese, and meat)
- First reaction: this cheddar chive biscuit is what I dream about–crumbly and buttery with melted, burnt orange cheddar cheese on top
- Picked vegetarian sausage out of curiosity, but it lacked a depth of rich flavor
- Egg was cooked over hard, which I enjoyed because I hate the runny yolk fiascoes
- Hearty flavors, not too greasy
Address: 4130 SW 117th Ave Beaverton, OR 97005